Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My renault trafic needs a new head gasket, yes engine size

hi my renault trafic needs a new head gasket
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: yes engine size 1721cc
JA: What year is your Traffic?
Customer: 1992
JA: Are you fixing your Traffic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i tried a new heater valve
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at the moment

Hi..there..

How do you know its needs a new headgasket? oil and coolant crossed over or overheating very quickly loosing coolant,has block test been done or compression test even?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi tests have been done by a garage I do loose coolant it does overheat

If they've done a block test on the coolant system to show signs of exhaust gases in the coolant system..then the headgasket has indeed gone..BUT they need to rule out what "may" have caused it in the first place,ie: problem within the coolant system circuit,bad thermostat,water,radiator etc... if as you say the headgasket has gone then it will need replaced..cylinder head off job..plus thehead will need to be checked to ensure its not damage either..warped and such like...

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
hi thanks for diagnosis the problem it seems is taking head off a trafic 92 the cylinder inserts might warp and then a complete engin rebuild
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
there,s know i would do the job thanks all the same

In extreme cases they can do that..another thing to kind of watch out for is pulled threads on the centre area head bolts.i seem to recall way back when these engines where fairly common that happening..

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thanks for that my hearing is very bad i would miss much of what you say i may talk on the phone through a friend