MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

2005 megane 1.6 vvt diagnostic light on dash service light

2005 megane 1.6 vvt diagnostic light on dash service light flashing at a thousand times a minute car parked and when i drive it stops flashing and the service light just stays on. It also come up with a message on the dash steering lock. Also you cannot do a diagnostic check using clip, because when you go to diagnostic mode in the car with the engine stopped your feet off the pedals you hold down the start button to go into the diagnostic mode nothing happens, the lights are on the dash but the steering lock does not come off, so in other words you cannot do a diagnostic check on the car. What is the problem here or am i missing something here. Hope you can help. Ger
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: the service light is flashing like mad but the dash lights are on the dash, but when you hold the start button down you should hear the lock coming of, nothing happens
JA: What is the model of your '05 Renault?
Customer: ITS its a Renault Mega
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its a renault megane 11 monaco hatchback 1.6 with variable valve timing, only 62000 km on the dash this car is mint mint like new other than that i would have got rid of it. Yes i am working on the car myself
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Fitted a new clock spring to this car, my question is if i was able to get the car to go into the diagnostic mode i would be able to sort out some of these issues i am having. All i want to know is why when i hold down the starter buton nothing happens. Is the steering lock faulty. Ger

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you I am a master mechanic with over 10 years experience with various car brands.

Good evening.

What you are describing is typical for a broken steering column. The electronic steering columns together with the electronic steering wheel lock are very fault-prone parts. Often the steering column or the steering column electronics itself is the problem. Often the only solution is to replace the parts.

But if I understood correctly, you replace the coil spring under the steering wheel. Correct?

If so, remove the steering wheel again and check all connections on the coil spring and the steering column wiring harness, it could be that you have accidentally loosened something or not assembled it correctly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Michael,many thanks for that i will look at that over the weekend and see if i can solve it. Michael what i forgot to tell you i had a slight water leak at the back of the heater unit so i removed the complete dash plus the big bar that runs at the back of the dash, so to get the bolts that hold that you need to remove the two front doors so in the end there was nothing left, and i found that water was getting in behind a large black plate that is bolted to the bulkhead and the pedals bolt to. Got a hose taped it to the top of the roof on the outside, let water run down the front of the car and after 5-10 minutes saw the water getting past the seal on the plate between the body. Michael is there anything i could have missed or disturbed while i was putting it back together, i mean there there was nothing in the car no seats, no carpets no sponges nothing just a shell. Car is back together no water leaks , also this car was never crashed, and also i took my time in putting it back together and am very careful about running wires in there correct order, also took photos of every stage of the job to make sure everything went back the way it should. Just wondering is there something i could have overlooked. Again many thanks for your help. Gerry.

You are very welcome.

Well, under the dashboard runs the main wiring harness for the interior and also the main control unit. A badly fitting plug or a bad ground contact can also cause these problems. It does not necessarily have to be defective, if the data bus is disturbed by a missing ground, this can also lead to the problems you mentioned.