MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

Low battery coming on and off. Then after 5mins permanently

Low battery coming on and off. Then after 5mins permanently on. Loss of all power , no steering , ABS , engine warning and a host of others. New battery has been fitted and still happening.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: Battery brand new , over 13V.
JA: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: Renault clio tourer 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No , iive no background in cars but have a mechanic I normally go to.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you I am a master mechanic with over 10 years experience with various car brands.

Check the charging current with the voltmeter. To do this, measure the voltage at both battery poles while the engine is running. The displayed value must be between 13.8 and about 14.6 volts.

If the measured value is lower the mechanic should check the alternator of the car. This does not provide sufficient charging voltage, so the battery discharges while driving. To protect the engine function, systems such as ABS/ ESP, seat heating, air conditioning, etc. are switched off in sequence. This is a typical behaviour when the battery runs down.

If the alternator is OK, the on-board system must be checked by your mechanic. In this case the alternator charges sufficiently, but the on-board electronics or battery charge management system does not recognise this and therefore thinks that the battery is discharging.