Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Got an issue with my diagnostic warning light on my 2009

Got an issue with my diagnostic warning light on my 2009 Renault meganeThanks

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today i take it is this light see image.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Gavin
Yeah that's right

How is the driveability of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It's fine really.

I would need a trouble code i take it you do not have an OBD2 code reader.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I took it out earlier, on the first drive cycle no probs at all....then when got in it again I switched it on and left it for a couple of mins to just send a text on my phone and the engine light started flashing then when I drove off it did judder a little and the light was flashing....then I parked and switched the engine off.....after 5 mins I switched it back on and drove off immediately this time and no problem at all, no flashing light and no judder, car drove perfect. Same with the next couple of drives as well. As someone told me the other day..French cars!! Can you explain it?

Is it a petrol or diesel engine.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Petrol
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Does it only flash when it sees an error..then when it doesnt it goes off again?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It drives great to be honest...just quite unpredictable
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I dont have a code reader no

Thought so the most common issue is a failed coil pack it will have a code relating to what cylinder was down.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sure...sounds familiar actually

Has it had one before.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Why is it tho it would flash/judder on one drive cycle then be perfectly fine on the next?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah had a fresh set of coil packs put on last month
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
March sorry

For the same reason.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Why not judder on every drive though that's what I dont understand

It will have to go back on the diagnostics.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I cant tell you how many diagnostic checks I've had on it the past 2 months, quite infuriating too be honest...as another mechanic told me..french cars!!

You could try http://www.boschcarservice.com for more options to get it diagnosed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok, cheers. I think it must be the coil pack as you say but only seems to be an issue on certain journeys, otherwise it drives great! Weird..anyway I'll just persevere with it until it happens on every journey or the light stays on rather than flashing intermittently. Thanks Gavin

No problem regards Gavin.