How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13343
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My gran left a will not naming me.I am her only grandson and

Customer Question

my gran left a will not naming me.I am her only grandson and my father who was her only child has passed away before here.I have had a letter saying I can claim legitim is this worth me doing?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
It is likely to be worthwhile. Do you know what the estate is worth.
Expert:  JGM replied 6 years ago.
The law says that you are entitled to claim what your father was entitled to from his mother on her death. If you are excluded from the will you are entitled to claim a share of her moveable estate.
Moveable estate is all estate with the exception of land and buildings.
If your grandmother left a spouse the share which you can claim as legitim is one third of her moveable estate. If she left no will the share is one half of her moveable estate.
I hope that this helps. Please leave positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.