How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

child aged university from sep 2012. parents separated

Customer Question

child aged university from sep 2012. parents separated 10/7/12. maintenance sorted for 2 younger children but nothing paid at all for elder child since separation.
1) Is 19 year old entitled to maintenance from father since he is presently only being maintained by mother?
1)What would be best route to follow,ie either CSA or LegalAid via lawyer.

We live in Scotland
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The 19 year old is owed a duty of maintenance by both parents. This is for as long as he is in full time education and training and can be up to the age of 25 or until the education or training finishes, whichever is sooner.

The CSA has no jurisdiction. The "child" can get legal aid and if necessary sue the father for aliment in the sheriff court.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.