How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12083
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been married 5 years. My wife is trying to settle in

This answer was rated:

I have been married 5 years. My wife is trying to settle in the Uk and is from W.Africa. She has been here 4 years. There is a boy child who is presently 2yrs and 4m.

My wife yesterday accused me of molesting the boy. She repeated this in a wild phone call to an 'aunt' in Sussex and they discussed it. I am amazed that she could think this and also claim this against me.

I know that she wants to go back to Africa and take the boy, but I am against this, and I think now that she is doing this to stop my access and rights to the child.

I have a very good relationship with him and have never conducted anything that has any foundation for this inappropriate slander.

I am now thinking I should report this incident to the social work tomorrow to give me a chance to have the claim tested and my name cleared - and so that i can keep access with the wee man. Is this the best action, or should I approach someone else?
Thank you for your question.

Do not go to see the social work. See a solicitor. Ask the solicitor to raise court proceedings for an order preventing your wife from removing the child from your care and also for a contact order. The court will then make an order for the papers to be served on your wife. Then a child welfare hearing will be fixed by the court and the court will then be able to listen to both parties and make an order that it considers to be in the interests of the child.

I think that this is a better option for you than getting the social workers involved. They might take your wife's side without considering the issues.

See a solicitor as soon as you can.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the response. I have an appointment with a Family Law Solicitor tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to move forward on this. I was somewhat distraught yesterday, but managed not to phone social services, and I appreciate your agreement with this. However my position is too fraught to stay - so I will need to move out and prevent any opportunity for more false accusation and aggression.

I may be back for further information, if you are available I would be grateful. Thanks for your reply once again.

You're welcome.