How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

our tenants ( who have been great up to now) are suggesting

This answer was rated:

our tenants ( who have been great up to now) are suggesting only giving us half the very reasonable rent we charge. They are in financial difficulty, so this is what they say they are going to do. This would leave us struggling. What is our rights in the eyes of the law (Scottish law).
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

You don't have to accept this.

What you can do is terminate the tenancy and ask them to leave.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings for possession of the property.

But you need to serve a notice first of all by sending a letter asking for the arrears.

If they do not comply then you can seek a court order for possession of the property.

If they refuse to leave then you can seek to evict them.

You can get the order of possession and delay activating it if you wish, but it protects your position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi expert, I think this is really what they want - us to evict them. This would incur us being out of pocket financially. Is this right?