How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was assaulted in my house by my partner yesterday, during

Customer Question

I was assaulted in my house by my partner yesterday, during an argument he grabbed my neck and hurt me. What should I do?
Donatella Fischer
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Is your partner still in the house? Are you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

many thanks.

No, he is not living with me. I live on my own.

He works with me, and in fact he is my superior.

Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Any witnesses or did you call or tell anyone after the incident? Did he leave any marks on you? Has he done this before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No witnesses, and no marks but I am sore on theright side of the neck. I didn't tell anyone although I did write to the psychologist at Nuffield Hospital who has been helping me during this abusive relationship. It's the first time he grabs my neck, but not the first time he pushes me and once he threw some spectacles at me. The abuse so far has always been verbal and psychological.

Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
I take you have decided to end your relationship.

I think that you should report this to the police. A few years ago the police would not take much to do with domestic incidents saying that they were a "civil matter". Because of this the victim had to see a solicitor and go to the civil court to seek court orders preventing the defending party from approaching them.

Those remedies are still available. However the police now have a zero tolerance approach to domestic violence and are more inclined to get involved. Your difficulty is that you didn't report the incident as soon as it happened and you should note this in case you have to do so in the future. Notwithstanding that I think you should report it to the police firstly so that there is a record of it and secondly the police may go to see him. Even if they don't have enough evidence to charge him (if he doesn't admit the assault) they will warn him off until you can get your solicitor to write to him in appropriate terms.

Happy to discuss further.