How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have just received a letter from sherrif officers saying

Customer Question

I have just received a letter from sherrif officers saying I am owe 1197.24 to Aberdeen City council for housing benefit back in 2003. I cannot remember receiving any notification from the council about this although when I contacted them they said they sent a letter in aug of 2003, I was in the property concerned until oct 2004 and did not receive any other mail.

I had left coucil housing for a few years when I re applied I was told I had debt that had to be paid back before I was housed, I came to an agreement and paid back all known debt to them nothing at all had been made mention of the housing benefit, where do I stand legally with this
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Did you phone the council or go to see them?

In my experience there is no point in phoning. You have to go to see them and find out precisely what period they are seeking a refund for. They also have to establish that you received the money in error. Note that there is no time bar on them claiming overpayments but they can only do so if they are owed the funds.

That is why you have to go to see them to find out.

Happy to discuss further.