How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12192
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

It began ten years ago when the boy next door began kicking

Customer Question

It began ten years ago when the boy next door began kicking his football over my six foot fence, on some days this amounted to seventeen times in one morning. If I didn't answer the door he either keep his finger on the door bell for up to fifteen minutes or proceeded to kick my door. He would then climb into my garden damaging flowers and plants, has smeared grease all over my front door, has been caught by my neighbour climbing into my garden with two other people late at night, my car tyres have been let down on numerous occasions and quite frankly I am scared. I have approached the boy's mother in the past only to be told "he is just a boy", he is now over eighteen and still he continues. There are numerous reports by me to the police but they cannot do anything and I believe they either think I am a nuisance or the boy will eventually stop. In an attempt to deter the boy, I installed false cctv cameras and for a while it worked but it begins again. What I write is but the tip of the iceberg and yes for a long time I believed it was my fault, something I was doing but what I recognised today was that when he comes to the door to get the ball, I have no sooner given the ball back when he starts climbing into the garden until he get a reaction from me. I thought I was the only neighbour experiencing this but found out my other neighbour (lady 75 years) was undergoing the same thing. Help!!!!!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


What can I do legally to stop it and is it harassment in the legal sense?

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Have you reported this to the council with a view to seeing if an antisocial behaviour order can be sought?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes but apparently I need to provide prove which I cannot do except for the reports to the police which again is my word against his

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Yes you can. The other lady who has been suffering the same problem can corroborate the course of conduct. In addition you can take photos and keep a diary of events as can the neighbour.

Your only other option is to go to court yourself but that will cost you money, a lot of it.

The council should be helping you with this and there is no reason why steps can't be taken against this person.

In addition you could get you own solicitor to write a letter warning of the steps that will be taken of his behaviour doesn't change.

So your three options are:

1. Keep onto the police and council with a view to an ASBO.

2. Get your solicitor to write a letter.

3. Finance a court action yourself.

Happy to discuss further.