How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been overpaid by my employer University of Dundee for

Customer Question

I have been overpaid by my employer University of Dundee for £7914.20 following my retirement in December 2012. This results from them paying me my monthly salary from then until May 2013. I brought this to their attention when I received pay slips through the post which had been sent to the School of nursing at Airlie Place where I had previously been employd , and forwarded to my home address .
The payroll office now apologises for their mistake and the inconvenience caused but say that they now need to recover this overpayment.
They wish to know how to proceed with this.
Bye law do I need to repay the amount and if so is there a minimum monthly repayment that I can agree to?
Bye for now.
Mrs Kathleen Muirhead
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Why do you think you do not have to pay this back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

university of dundee

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
I will move this to Scots law for you.

There may be a slight delay but I'm sure somebody will pick it up soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jo mo1972.

I'm still waiting for an answer!

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Sorry for the delay. My English colleagues took your question as an employment law matter.

The law in Scotland is that you have to repay the amount overpaid to you. As a matter of law they can demand full repayment as at the date of the demand. In practice they will accept repayment in instalments on the basis that it is their mistake.

That is a matter of negotiation. They are entitled to repayment, however, so if you were thinking that you don't have to repay for whatever that is not the law.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy to help you further, however if your question has been answered can I ask that you leave positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.