How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12064
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I spilt up yet again he purchased a new car

Customer Question

My husband and I spilt up yet again he purchased a new car unknown to me he moved in with a friend moving his car. Insurance with him and waited for his log book which should of been redirected mail was not done it came to my address he was given it via police station as I was angry he had done this by law he still had 28days of his tenancy but had redrictedmail however he moved in with in laws regestered his car at their address but did not change his car insurance since then we started speaking about getting back so we went on holiday he left his car at my door parked behind my car on returning we found out his car was either set alight bŷ possible electric fault it was totally burned out and with the fire report saying how the wind was blowing had set my one on fire and its just a shell his one as well we both got interviewed 6 hours it took treated like criminals can supply al evdeince we where on holiday however they are question why his car insurance was not moved to same address. As log book I am worried sick he paid33thousand pounds cash I still have 20thousand to pay on mine had it five months
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Your narrative is difficult to follow. Can you clarify what question it is you want me to answer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can the insurance refuse to pay out if car was insured to a diffrent address
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Normally a car should be insured at the address at where the vehicle is kept. That is usually the residence of the owner but is not necessarily the same place that the car is registered to. Some people register cars to their place of business for example.

However the specific requirements may vary from insurance company to insurance company. There would normally be a period of grace where someone was changing address.

However, to get the specific answer to your husband's situation you will have to read the specific policy of insurance and see what it says about addresses. The insurance policy is the contract which governs the relationship between his and the insurance company.