How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12079
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How do you stop a scottish newspaper from reporting on a current

Customer Question

How do you stop a scottish newspaper from reporting on a current civil matter
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Generally a newspaper can report the progress of civil proceedings provided that nothing is reported that could prejudice the case.

However, in some cases the judge in the case can be asked to grant an order preventing reporting, for example, where children are involved, or in respect other sensitive matters.

If there are no court proceedings yet, an interested party could apply for interdict, which is an order to prevent a party from doing something, such as reporting. The equivalent of injunction which you may have hear of in relation to certain English cases.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.