How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

how can i report my indonesian husband (with UK citizenship)

Customer Question

how can i report my indonesian husband (with UK citizenship) for bigamy? he is living in Indonesia. i am in scotland. we were married in scotland.. he has since married someone else in Indonesia... not 100% sure he was divorced before we were married actually... i want to divorce him too. can that be done while he is in Indonesia.. not sure he will comply with any requests to sign anything!! your advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you Rhona Hendry
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There is no point in reporting him to the police in Scotland as the crime of bigamy has taken place in Indonesia. You would have to ask a lawyer in that country what can be done.

As far as divorce is concerned you can divorce him in Scotland on the ground of his unreasonable behaviour. The papers would be sent to him in Indonesia and if he doesn't enter appearance in the case, the Scottish court can grant the divorce in his absence. You will have to see a solicitor to deal with this for you as there are special rules for serving papers on people who live abroad.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if he was still married to his indonesian wife at the time we got married here in scotland is that bigamy here? he said to me he was divorced but could not provide any documents.. he told the registrar he was single.. he is holding a UK passport just now.. he has been out of UK for 7 years is he still allowed to hold that?

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Yes it would, but as he is not in the UK, the authorities here will not take any interest. If he was divorced that should have been declared to the registrar who would have asked for evidence of the divorce. However, given that he is no longer in the country that is water under the bridge now and you won't easily be able to establish whether he was still married at the time of your own marriage. Divorce is the easiest remedy for you.

As far as a UK passport is concerned he does not have to be resident in the UK to hold a UK passport.