How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We live in a row of terraced houses built around 1830.Our house

Customer Question

We live in a row of terraced houses built around 1830.Our house was extended by taking over an old alley way between number 23 and 25 probably in the early 1900's.We understood that as we were joined to number 25 that it was a party wall,however the neighbours in number 25 say that their wall separating the 2 properties is a gable end and their boundary is the edge of the house.There is a fence separating it but they insist it is wrong.Is it possible that what has appeared to be a party wall for over 100 years is in fact a gable end?

We had a boundary check done by a chartered surveyor in 2012 and decided that we would ask for the fence to be put in the correct place if it was being renewed.The neighbours have not disputed this and renewed the fence but they dispute the surveyors findings stating that it is a gable end and not a party wall.We have not been able to contact the surveyor for a clarification.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Do you have a copy of your Land Certificate. Please scan and email to [email protected] and ask them to forward the file to JGM.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Thank you,