How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12086
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been excluded from birth certificate (1 month old son)

Customer Question

I have been excluded from birth certificate (1 month old son) and have been allowed very little access to him (4 hours roughly in a month). I wouldlike advice on how to get my name on birth certificate and re access.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

You should see a solicitor with a view to raising an action for declarator that you are the father of the child and also for contact on a regular basis. The earlier you do this, the better.

If the mother can reach agreement with you, there is a procedure to have you added to the birth certificate by jointly applying to the General a Register Office for Scotland. The forms are online but in the absence of agreement you will have to go to court.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.