How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have just inherited my parents house in scotland. The house

Customer Question

I have just inherited my parents house in scotland. The house has no mortgage on it but when it did it was from an English bank and they didn't inform the Scottish land registry that the house was discharged. Can I inform them myself, what do I need to do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The Standard a security has to be discharged. Your solicitor will prepare a formal deed of Discharge and get the lender to sign it. The solicitor will then register the Discharge in the Registers of Scotland.

It will cost about £150 plus vat in fees plus a £60 fee paid to the Registers of Scotland.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.