How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

minute of agreement was agreed for 10yrs alimony. after 2 years

Customer Question

minute of agreement was agreed for 10yrs alimony. after 2 years spouse stopped- claiming change in employment-since resolved but no money for last year, I am 61, 2 grown up kids,24 yrs married and wonder how i can make him pay as he lives in dubai and I feel aggrieved that as he was the cheat I should not have to live on minimum wage.for next 7yrs
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If the minute of agreement is registered and he has a bank account or is paid from this country, sheriff officers can carry out an arrestment of funds.

If he does not have any connection with Scotland at present the minute of agreement is pretty worthless here. You would have to attempt to register the agreement in the courts in Dubai. And chase him over there which you will appreciate will be a difficult exercise.

Either way a solicitor will be needed to instruct sheriff officers or liaise with Scottish a Courts Service for foreign enforcement. You can get legal advice and assistance for this kind of thing depending on your own finances.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.