How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Good afternoon, i am looking for someadvice , my mother

Customer Question

Good afternoon,

i am looking for someadvice , my mother in law died 3 years past May and left a husband,( not the father of my husband and brother in law) he part owns a house 50% his and 25% my husabnd and 25% my brother in law. He is now claiming that before my mother in law died that she had said she would be willing to to pay 50% on house redecoration and new guttering and a a new staircase to the loft, he now wants us to pay this money which he he estimates at around £15.000 split between my husband and brother in law . He has no written agreementment with his dead wife and says it was a verbal agreement. Are we due to pay this ? she died threee years ago and nothing was said at the time of her death , he says he has receipts for all the work carried out ???

thank you for taking the time to reply to my email
Audra Greig
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Even if there was an agreement between husband and wife it is not binding on her children nor would he be authorised to carry out repairs unless the owners all agreed. I have some difficulty in understanding his argument here but it is clear that your husband and his brother can refuse his demand.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.