How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12072
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Wiltshire and have a Scottish heritance issue. Left

This answer was rated:

I live in Wiltshire and have a Scottish heritance issue. Left half of my father's estate in Scotland in his will, which I have a copy of. Gave up my executers role to my only sister since I live 400 miles away. Its now been several months and I cannot get hold of my sister and suspect she is holding onto 100% of the estate. it is looking like I will have to use legal services to get my inheritance. Problem is that I live in Wilts and can't go running up and down to Scotland easily and would prefer to work locally with an English Lawyer in Swindon Wilts. Is this possible ?
Thank you for your question.

You should instruct an English solicitor who is local to you and he or she in turn can instruct a Scottish solicitor on an agency basis. This is quite a common way of dealing between Scotland and England. The Scottish solicitor will deal with your sister's solicitor and report to your English solicitor who will deal with you.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you