How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12066
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I bought a property in 1998 and agreed two years later to give

Customer Question

I bought a property in 1998 and agreed two years later to give my partner 50%. She has lived in the property since, running it as a business. I now wish to ensure my 50% is safe and eventually in case my demise, passes to my wife.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

How is the title drafted. Equally between you and your partner and to your respective assignees or equally between you and to the survivor of you? If the former then your wife can inherit by virtue of your will. If the latter then your share would automatically pass to your partner on your death and this would mean that the title would have to be changed.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.