How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12296
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

in Scotland, does a mother have the soul right to custody over

This answer was rated:

in Scotland, does a mother have the soul right to custody over the children in the event of a marriage breakdown?.
Thank you for your question.

No that is not correct. Where mother and father were married to each other both have equal parental rights and responsibilities. Who the children stay with after the breakdown depends on what is considered to be in the best interests of the children.

If the parties can't agree that then the court will decide.

In reality, if the mother is remaining in the family home, it is more normal than not that the children will stay there with her and the father will be granted contact to the children.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my wife has taken the kids and lives in temporary accommodation at the moment, I have the marital home souly in my name and work full time. I offer financial security and domestic security. at present I have very limited access (1 day per week) do you think Im intitelled to more access to my children.

Yes I do, assuming there is nothing to suggest that would not be in the best interest of the children. One day per week is not nearly enough contact for a loving father.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how would I go about starting to gain more access.

You would see a solicitor and make an application to the court for a suitable contact order.