How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have a little house that I inherited from my grandmother.

This answer was rated:

I have a little house that I inherited from my grandmother. To help 2 students my mother allowed them to live for free in the property for the last 6 years. I now want to remove them so that I can fix up the property so that I can rent it.

How can I remove them now?
They have never paid anything.

Can the claim the house because they lived there for a certain length of time?
This is my main worry.
Thank you for your question.

As they haven't paid rent and have no lease they are deemed non tenant occupiers. You can ask them to leave on giving reasonable notice, say two months. You should serve a notice to quit asking them to leave within two months.

If they don't leave you will have to go to court to get an order for recovery of the property but this is likely to be granted without a problem given their precarious legal status.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you