How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christine-cssm Your Own Question
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 5
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Christine-cssm is online now

I hit an unoccupied car whilst parking this afternoon and grazed

Customer Question

I hit an unoccupied car whilst parking this afternoon and grazed the bumper of other car (also did some minor damage to my own car). I was rushing to school for children so ran for them then back to the parked car which was fortunately still there. I took a photo of the damage on my mobile phone and then, as driver still didn't arrive and one of the kids needed a wee (typical) I wrote a note saying "I am so sorry I hit your bumper and caused some damage." and provided my mobile number. I did not leave my name or address as it was basically being left on a public street.
I drove past again about half an hour later and the car was still there, no driver. I also knocked on a few doors as it is a semi residential street but got no answer. Is there anything else I can/should do?

I've had worse damage myself and the person hasn't even left a note but I am the type of person to really worry about this kind of thing and want to be sure to do the right thing. Obviously I'm fully insured so I am not at all worried about the insurance consequences. I have very low premium so even if it goes up it's really not going to make a huge difference. My concern rather centres around making sure I have done what I should from a legal point of view. Would the police be interested? With thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Was the other car damaged at all please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, as stated the bumper was grazed. The damage was confined to the bumper of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please note I asked this question in the Scots Law section so please only proceed if this is your area of expertise thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Are you in Scotland ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

This question was posted in the Law category; I will now move it to Scots Law for you.

No need to reply as may cause further delay in finding an answer.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am sorry you have had to wait for an answer. You must report the accident to your local police station within 24 hours of it happening. The provisions of the road traffic act which applies equally in England and Scotland require this. Essentially if you have an accident you have to provide you r name and and address to anyone else if they request it but if cannot and do not do so then you are required to report the accident ot the police. If the owner of the car - who may have you mobile number- complains , you can be prosecuted for failing to report it if you do not. ONce you have done that you need to notify your insurers aswell even if you do not intend to claim
Expert:  Christine-cssm replied 4 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

Thank you, XXXXX Support Team.