How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

question to a solicitor

This answer was rated:

My father passed away in scotland 1999, my aunt swore on oath that mysel & siblings were adopted out as children & claimed his estate; what can I do about this? My mother was still married to my father but separated at the time of his death & we were never adopted out; this is fraud; does it matter how many years have passed? My father did not make a will. 

Thank you for your question.

Wife and children should have inherited the estate. This is a fraud and there is no time limit in reporting your aunt to the police as this is a criminal offence.

As far as raising a civil claim is concerned there is 20 years to make a claim. If your aunt was appointed executor a Bond of Caution would have been required if she applied for a Confirmation. That is a type of insurance policy to insure her actings with the estate. A claim may need to be made there if possible or alternatively court proceedings may have to be raised against your aunt for accounting and payment.

There are several issues here and I think you would benefit from a face to face discussion with a solicitor local to you but these are my initial thoughts.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you