How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my husband is leaving the family home he dose not work and

This answer was rated:

my husband is leaving the family home he dose not work and has no income.iwork and have a unemployed 24 year old living with me ,my husband has been told that he will get housing benifit for 26 weeks but after that i will be made homeless because the house will hve to be sold to keep my husband in his house .the house being sold will not give us any large income because there is not enough equity in the house .help
Thank you for your question.

Why is he leaving the family home?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are splitting up
In that case the housing benefit authority can't insist that the house is sold as you have a right to occupy the house. He may not get housing benefit beyond the six months but they can't insist on the house being sold. Your husband can ask the court to sell the house if you don't agree. But presently he is spinning you a line by saying the house has to be sold. That is not the case.

Happy to discuss further but the issue is what is to happen to the house as a result of a matrimonial split, not whether your husband will get child benefit.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you