How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Im am currently seperated from my husband, he is allowed access

This answer was rated:

I'm am currently seperated from my husband, he is allowed access to the martial home which I own, do I have to allow access to any other members of his family eg. Mother in law or friends ?
Thank you for your question.

No you don't have to allow access to anyone other than your husband who will have certain occupancy rights if you separated less than two years ago. You don't have to allow access to any other person.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I sell the house? The deeds and mortgage is in my name as he is bankrupt and I bought the house before we married my dad stays with us. Do I only need to give him one door for access He has access through the front door but I am not giving him keys for the back doors as he shut them and refused to give me keys so I got the locks changed on those doors.
As for his mother in law letting herself in and taking stuff away could that be classed as a criminal offence?
Thanks for your help so far :)
Your mother in law is committing theft and housebreaking.

As far as selling is concerned you can do so as the house can not form part of any marital property as it was bought pre marriage.

However you will need you husband to formally renounce his occupancy rights as any purchaser will seek such a deed at settlement of the sale.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you