How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my boyfriend was purchasing car on christmas eve he was part

Customer Question

my boyfriend was purchasing car on christmas eve he was part exchanging his car and his father agreed to pay outstanding amount of £5740 as the car was being purchased on christmas even his father was unable to attend purchase so I paid £5740 on my debit card on the understanding the money would be returned the following week.
Before I was able to retrieve outstanding amount owed (£5740) relationship broke down.
Although I have reciept of payment made and text messages saying his father was going to pay at the beginning of January no payment has been made.
My ex boyfriend has been charged with assault against myself and cannot contact me directly and so a family member has been corresponding, although my only concern is recovering car payment made he is bringing other issues ie.dvd's lent personal items and saying amounts will be deducted for things not returned even though I dont have the things mentioned and feel I am being held to randsom.
The financial transaction is a totally different issue to any personnel effects from during the relationship and should be dealt with seperately I feel I'm being charged for items whether I have them or not.
Legally where do I stand?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Legally you have lent your ex money and he is due to pay you back. You can sue him if necessary. The other issues arising from your relationship are, as you rightly say, different and different laws apply.

Happy to discuss any specific queries with you further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will I be expected to pay costs to sue ex?

what kind of lawyer would I require to proceed?

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
You need a civil court lawyer. You will have to pay the lawyer to deal with the case but you will ask the court to award the expenses of the action against your ex.