How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12069
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Girlfriend and I are going to buy a house together. Though

This answer was rated:

Girlfriend and I are going to buy a house together. Though I have a bad credit history, so mortgage is going to be in her name only. But I will be putting an equal deposit down as, well as making half the mortgage payments, which I will pay directly to her.

Am I able to go onto the deeds of the house, or whats my best option. So the house will be half mine, if anything happens down the line. death or separtion etc
Thank you for your question.

If the mortgage is going to be in her name alone the title will have to be in her name too.

What you have to do is go to a solicitor and have a cohabitation agreement drawn up dealing with the disposal of the house if anything should happen in the future.

It is very important that such an agreement is drawn up before you take entry to the house.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you