How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

i was married 2 years ago and lived in my husbands home which

Customer Question

i was married 2 years ago and lived in my husbands home which is in his name. unfortunately my husband passed away and my stepson locked me out. i want to get my personal belongings and furniture out as he has now moved his girlfriend and baby in the house. i am still fighting for my prior rights but he is making it difficult for me to retrieve my belongings, what can i do
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

You must see a solicitor immediately. You mentioned prior rights so I assume that your husband died without leaving a will. That being the case you are entitled to the house and the contents up to the values laid down in the legislation and your stepson has no right to be in the house at all.

You have to get yourself appointed as executor and then get a court order to have him removed from the house.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.