How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12083
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

hello I was married in Scotland and now live in Germany and

Customer Question

hello I was married in Scotland and now live in Germany and want to start divorce proceedings in Scotland is that possible. There are no children .can i apply or file for the divorce myself? ( I am a british citizen)

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Where you were married doesn't matter. Divorce proceedings can only be raised in Scotland if at least one of the parties has resided in Scotland for a year prior to the divorce being raised.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.