How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi There. my daughter is on a low income of £400 per month,

This answer was rated:

Hi There.
my daughter is on a low income of £400 per month, she is also receiving part housing benefit, one of the advisors at social security was trying to see if she qualified for more
help, she is in debt to the royal bank, and somewhere else amounting to app £9000, although she has not heard from them in years, she owes council tax for a few years back,
she tried to make a payment arrangement with the council a few years ago, to pay monthly sums, they said she owed to much for them to do that and she would have to wait until
they take her to court, she has not heard from them re that, the advisor told her unofficialy
of course she would be better declaring herself bankrupt, and it would only cost £200, I cant find that anywhere on the internet, 1/ how does she go about making herself bankrupt, 2/ is ther a time limit on when court action can be taken in Scotland for debt
hope you understand all that
Thank you for your question.

The answer to your first question about making herself bankrupt is that she deals with the Accountant in Bankruptcy. All information she needs about this is at

Secondly, a debt which goes unacknowledged and in respect of which no court proceedings are raised will become timebarred after five years in Scotland, although this does not apply to government debts such council tax.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you