How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son is about to become a father soon.The mother and my son

Customer Question

My son is about to become a father soon.The mother and my son are not in a relationship.I have been told that the mother is not putting the fathers name on the birth certificate even though the father and family wants to be involved in the childs life.Does the father have any rights?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If the mother doesn't put the father on the birth certificate then the father has no automatic parental rights unless they are married.

The unmarried fathers remedy is to apply to the court for a parental rights and a contact order.

If the mother denies that the father is the father then the court can ask the mother to have a DNA test. If the mother refuses the court can make and order in favour of the father.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.