How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am employed by the catholic Church and have been for 23yrs.

This answer was rated:

I am employed by the catholic Church and have been for 23yrs. I have worked for the same priest and my tax records say I am employed by St Johns Church. The priest has left and now they want me to have a contract between the new priest and myself. I did not have a written contract before. What are my rights? I am saying that my last contract was never ended therefore my employment should be classed as continuous as I am still employed by St Johns Church. They are saying this was a mistake. can you help
Thank you for your question.

I can't advise you on canon law but under employment law if your employer who has been paying you is the church then there is no requirement for you to have a new contract of employment. You should have a written contract of employment stating the terms and conditions of your employment but that should be with your existing employer.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you