How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have found a piece of property Id like to purchase in Edinburgh.

This answer was rated:

I have found a piece of property I'd like to purchase in Edinburgh. I have a three year visa due to a PhD program I'm working on at the University.
I'm willing to pay cash for the property that is currently in a U.S. account.
Should this be a problem?
Thank you for your question.

It's the source of funds that is important, not necessarily where they came from. If the account is the US is in your name and you transfer it to a UK account to but the property, your lawyer will need to see the US bank statements too and will also need to know where you got the money from.

The lawyer may have a policy of seeing he money in a uK bank account for three months but this is not absolutely necessary if a legitimate source of funds can be identified.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you