How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hello My daughter and son-in-law are in the process of splitting

This answer was rated:


My daughter and son-in-law are in the process of splitting up. He signed over the joint tenancy to her today. He has taken my 2 year old grandson swimming but threatened ti kidnap him as they left the house. If he keeps Ethan, what does my daughter have to do
Thank you for your question.

Your daughter as the parent with care should immediately see a solicitor and get an interdict preventing him from removing the child from the area. She should also seek a residence order. It is unlikely that he will carry out such a threat in my experience but if he has made the threat she does have good grounds to get orders protecting her interests.

Note that both parents have parental rights so there is no issue of "kidnap" in the criminal sense. Until a court says otherwise, a married couple have equal rights in respect of a child.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you