How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son(19 years old)has signed off the dole to work in an Indian

This answer was rated:

My son(19 years old)has signed off the dole to work in an Indian restaurant.They have not asked for his bank details and are paying him £120(cash in hand) for working 30 hours a equates to £4 an hour.How can he legally challenge the company as surely this is illegal?
Thank you for your question.

Paying in cash isn't illegal, however a wage slip has to be provided and his wage has to be at least the national minimum wage for his age. The top line minimum age for a 19 year old is £5.03, so even allowing for a few pounds in tax and NIC they are paying him under the minimum wage.

He can complain to an employment tribunal if he can't sort it out with them directly.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you