How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My tennant has not paid rent for 5 months, how do I go about

This answer was rated:

My tennant has not paid rent for 5 months, how do I go about evicting her from the property kind regards XXXXX [email protected]
Thank you for your question.

You have to serve a formal notice to quit to terminate the tenancy along with the statutory notice of proceedings. If she doesn't vacate you then have to raise proceedings for recovery of the property in the sheriff court.

If you haven't done this before you should use a solicitor. The procedures in housing actions can be a bit fiddly and if get it wrong the court can throw the case out and you could find that you have to start all over again.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you