How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Is my son entitled to half the value of any item that I have

This answer was rated:

Is my son entitled to half the value of any item that I have given to other persons but those persons have allowed the items to remain in my house until I die
Thank you for your question.

No he isn't if the item has been gifted to you to a third party. You should make sure that your executors are aware of the position and that there is evidence, preferably in the form of a deed of gift, in respect of the various items.

If you don't leave evidence of a gift then you son could try to claim legal rights to a half of moveable estate including these items.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you