How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12070
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We live in a Victorian terrace of 5 townhouses in a conservation

This answer was rated:

We live in a Victorian terrace of 5 townhouses in a conservation area. The terrace is not listed. The other 4 houses have, for a variety of reasons too complicated to explai succinctly lain empty for 7-8 years. They are becoming increasingly dilapidated, with windows boarded up, gutters leaking, woodwork rotting, etc. the current owners bought them 2-3 years ago with planning permission for conversion into 8 flats, which I believe has now expired. Do we have any legal rights?
Thank you for your question.

You could consider going to court against the neighbours on the ground of nuisance or possible a breach of the title deeds if appropriate.

However that would be costly. You should approach the council with a view to getting them to serve a statutory notice of repairs instructing the owners to carry out repairs so as to alleviate any nuisance. If the council do so and if the owners don't do the repairs the council can instruct the repairs and charge the owners for doing so.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you