How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12187
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Im 70, wheelchair-bound for the last 4 years. My wife is

This answer was rated:

I'm 70, wheelchair-bound for the last 4 years. My wife is 69 and a survivor of lymphoma. We have a 32-year-old son who still lives at home and who subjects us to extreme verbal abuse on a daily basis. We try to treat him kindly, but he seems to seek real or imagined pretexts for shouting at us. We try to limit the offensiveness of our responses but most often our only recourse is to walk (in my case, roll) away from him. It has reached the stage that I feel he should look for accommodation elsewhere but he demonstrates no inclination to go. Where can we get help?
Thank you for your question.

Who owns the house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is jointly owned by me and my wife. We have no mortgage.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is jointly owned between my wife and me. No mortgage.

In that case your son has no right of tenure. He is not a tenant or a lodger. You can ask him to leave. If he doesn't you can remove his things and change the locks. You can get a court order based on his past behaviour stopping him from coming to the house.

Happy to discuss further.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you