How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I had a bespoke kitchen fitted in November. I am not happy

Customer Question

I had a bespoke kitchen fitted in November. I am not happy with the appearance. The drawers are of different depths, the grain goes in different directions and the jointing of the timber along the width of the drawers is splitting. I sent a recorded delivery letter to the maker ,along with a full list of my complaints and he came to see what I was complaining about. He responded but did NOT address ALL my complaints. It is now three weeks since I advised him I was not pleased. He received the recorded delivery letter on 3rd. March. and I have had no response to this.What do I do now? He is a sole trader and NOT a member of a trade body. I have spoken to Consumer Advice and it was they who advised about letters. I did give a time line on the first letter and the maker aggresively said."You and your 10days"
Margaret McCare
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What is that you want the trader to do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is my position regarding either getting a refund OR getting another trader to redo the units and for the original one to pay.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
It depends whether the trader has breached his contract with you. If he hasn't done as you asked or if the work is not up to standard you can ask him to fix it. If he refuses you can get someone else to do so and claim the cost of doing so.