How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Iam seeking a divorce after f ive years separation - no kids

Customer Question

Iam seeking a divorce after f ive years separation - no kids under 16 - i own the property and all the savings are mine. My savings are isas which are only in my name as set up by me.
We never ever had a joint bank account. Every bill is in my name and my ex has never paid any maintenance in over 5 years.Is he entitled to half of my savings and half of my property.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If these assets were acquired after you married and before you separated your ex is entitled to a share. The share may not be a half. It depends what he took away from the marriage.

Any property acquired before the marriage or after the separation he is not entitled to.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.