How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my son is not with the mother of his child and is not on the

This answer was rated:

my son is not with the mother of his child and is not on the birth certificate although he has a DNA test to prove that he is the father, he also pays maintenance for the child. The mother is making it very difficult for him to have regular access to his son. Under Scottish law :-

can he get his name put on the birth certificate, if so how does he go about this ?
how does he go about getting regular access ?
Thank you for your question.

He can only get his name put on the birth certificate with the mother's consent.

His correct remedy is to go to court and ask for a parental rights order and and order for contact to the child.

A parental rights order has the same legal effect as him being on the birth certificate and a contact order will force the mother to allow contact at specific times.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you