How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12174
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My wife has walked out on myself and our 4 children. She has

This answer was rated:

My wife has walked out on myself and our 4 children. She has given no reason for this and is constantly dictating when she is seeing our children, when she is coming into the home and will only communicate when it suits herself. She has told me that she is taking our children over to Northern Ireland to see her family and that she wants the car to do so. I am extremely concerned that if she goes and takes them, then they will not return. Her parents do not live that far away from the Southern Irish border. What are my rights? Can I stop this from happening?

Thank you for your question.

Mediation will take time to organise.

The children are presumably upset at what there mother has done which essentially abandoning them. It is too early for them to be uprooted from their home and be dragged to Ireland and if you at concerned that she might not bring them back you have to act now.

Instruct your lawyer to apply to the court for a residence order for the children and application for interdict to prevent your wife from moving the children from the jurisdiction of the court. If your wife intends to do this on Friday you have to see your lawyer, or one who will do this for you, tomorrow.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you