How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12180
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

So I my brother was driving my car just this one time without

This answer was rated:

So I my brother was driving my car just this one time without insurance he got into accident .he drove into a parked car. Because he wasn't insured and I let him drive it s my fault and I got a bill for 20 400 to pay to as it was discharged from 3 party claim . Obviously don't have so much to pay? Is there anything I can do ?
Thank you for your question.

Did you know you're brother wasn't insured to drive the car?

What is the breakdown of the £20,400?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did let him drive this once. I shouldn't I know, he drove in a peaked car to avoid hitting a kid that run out on the street. police wasn't helpful though they saud its his fault and mine for letting him drive without insurance. there is no breakdown I called them to do so and they said they are investigating it again and they will call next week. That all I know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't really understand they send me just that that according to traffic act from 1988 they have to claim the money personally. they just send tje amount and that I have to send them a cheque or instalment proposal

In the first instance you should ask them for a breakdown of the money they seek. Your brother is also responsible here of course. Have they claimed against him? Do either of you have any assets?
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No they just claimed against me. I have my car that's all. I told them I can pay 100 a month they said its reasonable but when I called them again they said they are invastigating it. I will ask for the breakdown. you right that is 20 000 pounds! Can I ask if this will ruin my credit score?

It won't affect your credit score unless they take you to court and get a decree for payment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They would take me to court if I refuse to pay? But if I will pay the instalment I will be fine? However I have to know why I am paying what am paying right?

Yes , that is all correct.