How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in a complex of flats with parking for residents and

This answer was rated:

I live in a complex of flats with parking for residents and with allocated visitor spaces. Last night I parked one space too far along and parked in another residents space. I did not realise my mistake until late that night when I discovered they had parked directly behind me, thus making me move my car impossible. I was shut in. Can they do this? I don't know what flat they live in. My mother is seriously ill and I depend on my car to get to her. If this happens again can I call the police?
Thank you for your question.

They aren't entitled to obstruct you. They should have left their contact details so that you could get in touch.

The police do have power to remove a vehicle parked on private land in limited circumstances. Obstruction of another vehicle is one of those circumstances although I can tell you that the police are nonetheless reluctant to get involved in such matters. They consider it to be a civil matter.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you