How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My neighbours have put a fench up in land which I think is

This answer was rated:

My neighbours have put a fench up in land which I think is mine, so I want to confirm the boundary of my garden. Further, in the title deeds they have a right of access through my garden on the other side, but so far they have not used for 7 years. Can you advise when this right of access lapses through non use.
Thank you for your question.

The right of access will lapse after continued non use for 20 years.

To confirm the boundary of your garden you can take the plan on your title deeds and ask a land surveyor to take appropriate measurements, typically a firm like Loy Surveys at which carries out this type of work.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you