How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12083
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hello, My son and his girlfriend stay together and have a

This answer was rated:

My son and his girlfriend stay together and have a 7 month old son.
The 2 of them are under the social as they used drugs. My son got a job
and is great with his son but has now found out his girlfriend has been seeing
someone who uses drugs and takes his son to this person's house while there
is drugs being taken.
What rights does my son have if he splits from her.
Thank you for your question.

Your son, if he is on the birth certificate has equal parental rights. He has the right to go to court and seek a residence order whereby a court would order that the baby is to stay with him. Alternatively the court could make a specific order to the effect that she couldn't take the baby to this person's house or come into contact with him.

He should see a family law solicitor immediately.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you